hanging on to summer

Can August really be almost over?... we have only just begun getting some really hot summer weather here. But the days are getting shorter, the crickets are chirping, some leaves are even starting to fall.

I have been picking blueberries upon blueberries. It has been a great year for them, and I have at least 30 pounds in the freezer. Last night I was picking more and thinking of all the smoothies we'll be drinking this winter--good news for my brain:
"In a USDA Human Nutrition Research Center laboratory, neuroscientists discovered that feeding blueberries to laboratory rats slowed age-related loss in their mental capacity"
~ good news indeed!
As I picked I enjoyed the breeze in the pines, the birds singing, and the horses grazing nearby.

Inside, I've done a little sewing for the living room. Remember the stool covered in blue denim in front of the window...


...well the cover was fading in spots, and I found a project I knew would be perfect for it thanks to Clarice ~ an old grainsack pillow tutorial from Musings from a French Cottage...

I used a piece of inexpensive Onasburg cotton fabric and screenprinting ink that I had on hand instead of the fabric marker. I love the result and can't wait to try some pillows.
I also sewed a new cover for this little footstool with a fabric remnant I found at Ikea...


Some more painting projects are planned with the Light French Gray paint...


...which changes color with the light, sometimes more gray and sometimes this great blue...

Next up to paint {well, maybe once the floor is finished}is the green dresser in the hallway.