some reading & apple cake

No Christmas decorating going on here yet, as I probably won't start until next week. Instead I'm spending this week giving the main rooms a semi-deep cleaning before I start hauling up the decorations from the basement. I've been working on gifts that I am sewing/knitting and gathering decorating/gift/recipe ideas. I picked up some books from the library....
ME's book is full of good craft ideas like the paper cones I've been wanting to make and good recipes ~ I would like to try the Winter Breakfast Frittata and definitely the French Apple Tart!
The Thimbleberries book is full of great decorating ideas. I love the mantle done with greenery, dried hydrangeas, and pine cones. Maybe I will do that with the hydrangea blossoms I dried...

I also picked up two Country Living books by Christina Strutt, which I had never seen. I love the vintage style decorating, and the Crafting Vintage Style book shows how to make many of the items shown in the Decorating Vintage Style book. I think some of the projects would make nice gifts like the ~ scented sachets, linen-covered journal, and gardener's apron.

I have a wonderful supply of apples to use, so I made this apple cake for morning tea today. The recipe is below if you would like to try it ~ it's a favorite here!

Enjoy!


Apple Loaf Cake

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar

3 teaspooons baking powder

1/2 cup butter, cut up

1/2 pound cooking apples, peeled, cored, & finely chopped (1 1/4 cups)

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

  • Butter and flour a 8.5 x 4.5 x 3.75 -inch loaf pan; butter & flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Sift flour, sugar & baking powder into large bowl. With pastry blender or knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine meal. (I like to use my food processor ~ just pulse, don't overdo). Toss chopped apple in flour mixture. Set aside.
  • In small bowl, whisk together egg & milk until blended. Stir into apple mixture until mixed. (Batter will be stiff.) Spread batter evenly in dish.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes until skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool on rack 10 minutes. Remove from dish. Cool on rack. Yield: 12 servings