Part I ~ potholder/hot pad tutorial

A couple of you asked how I had made the potholder I posted about here. I made up another one over the weekend so I took some pictures.
~first I knit a 6 to 7 inch square in seed stitch using some cotton yarn
~ I like to throw it in the washer and dryer before adding the top

~ below are the fabrics I chose for the patchwork top

~ a little math is necessary to determine what size to cut the pieces so I end up with a square just a little smaller than the knitted back (I wanted the seed stitch back to show around the edges); I determine the finished size of each piece then add 1/4 inch to the seam edges and at least 1/2 inch to the outer edges

~ here my strips are sewn together using 1/4 inch seams... ~ once the top is pieced together and seams pressed, I press 1/2 inch to the wrong side on all edges...
~ I cut a piece of cotton batting to quilt the patchwork to; you could use heat resistant batting also...
~ place the batting on the wrong side of the patchwork top and tuck underneath the pressed edges...