My knitting challenge (Julia Childs Style)



My knitting challenge

The book is by MAJ-BRITT ENGSTROM

A 1975 published Swedish book in Swedish being step one of the challenge,



Stica Lätt

På Nytt

Sätt

Raka stycken och räta

Maskor. Med 25 plagg

For Barn and vuxna

Translation (roughly) the front page introduction of the book



Knitting Easy

(for this Im using google translate none are 100% but this seemed the best)

New

Way

Straight pieces and straight

Stitches. 25 garments

For children and adults



Published by Prisma



An earlier post about this book

http://cuteknitting.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-knit-jumper-with-no-pattern-1975.html



The Challange

My Juila Child, Julie blog film/book version inspiration but of course knitting not cooking challenge.

For me knitting is a challenge!



The most difficult part is that it’s all in Swedish and I don’t understand Swedish.

A little,(3rd year here) yes, no, please and the odd knit term but that it that's my Swedish in a nut shell.

So a lot of typing and thankful for translators.



I also as you all know have a few very good Swedish knitting friends (aka)

Knit family that I'm sure will be laughing loudly at my translation.

Before I even start this challenge I need to work out how to add the dots!

(Keep reading you’ll see)



Unlike the Julie Julia film challenge, she had a time set 1 recipe a day? in 365 days (I think)

Knitting and translating will obviously take me a little longer, not a year but a few days to weeks each project.





(1st pattern, the hat above. Looks easy but we will see.)



The reason for this book choice



The reason for choosing this book, I will type the back translation.

I think from what I can tell!, From the picture and diagrams that it is aimed at non

Pattern readers like my self.



So here’s to the translation…….

Wish me luck, I feel a good challenge coming on.



Sa har roligt och enkelt kan det vara att stick!

Did have fun and easy it can be to stick!

Ok..........so far so good.



Du behover bara kunna upplaggining, ratstickning och avmaskning, och aven pa

Detta finns enkla beskrivningar I boken.



Ok, I need to add the dots etc as the translater just will not work……deworming?

You only need to upplaggining, by ticking and deworming, and also on

This is simple descriptions in the book.

Lets try that again!



Du behöver bara kunna uppläggining, rätstickning och avmaskning, och även på

detta finns enkla beskrivningar I boken.



2nd try



You only need to uppläggining, PLAIN and deworming, and also on

this is simple descriptions in the book

Avmaskning = Worming de-worming this I will need help with?



Bestäm själv färg, garn, stickor och storlek. Använd gärna gamla restgarner. Sätt igång och sticka mössor, vantar, sockor, tröjor, polokragar, halsduker, schalar, jumprar, klänningar, blusar, solliv, linen, vaster, jackor, koftor, kappor, ponchos och väskor på ett

Nytt och inspirerande sätt!



And again



Decide for yourself paint, yarn, knitting needles or size. Please use the old residual yarns. Go ahead and knit caps, gloves, socks, sweaters, polo collars, scarves, shawls, sweaters, dresses, blouses, solliv, linen, waistcoats, jackets, cardigans, capes, ponchos and bags in a

New and inspiring way!



I will start the challenge today.



Phoenix







My back and the sleeves, the left sleeve a brand new stitch for me. Discovered whilst running errands in the car on sat, Rich was doing the driving.



I was doing the crochet experimenting, whist back seat driving.







Almost completed



I was one orange skein short of completing the full skirt. I need to go shopping and try and find a yarn that is the same thickness, nothing in my stash will suffice.







Shrek bag lining





How I lined the knitted Beret bag.



I took one old recycled carrier bag

(You know the fabric type that replaced the plastic)




1st I cut the strap off, then stitched it loose in side the knitted bag. To make the body of the bag stronger thus stopping the stretching and keeping the bag shape a little better.