seasonal eating

Nancy had a question about rhubarb a while back -- 'how do you know when it is ready to be picked?'
All I know is that once the stalks get a decent length, I start cutting. My rhubarb is a mostly green type, and I don't remember the name of it. The plants do seem to send up seed stalks with flowers fairly soon, so I try to cut those out as they start forming so the plants' energy is saved for the stalks. You can find some information on growing rhubarb here. This is rhubarb from my own plants...
...and the rhubarb below is from my brother. It is a beautiful red and very tender...

I love eating in season, which translates to 'what fruit is available now to turn into pies, muffins, crisps, shortcake, etc'.
With my rhubarb I made some rhubarb pecan muffins...

...and my favorite Rhubarb Custard Pie, which my Gram used to make. Just chop up your rhubarb and place in a pastry crust...
Top with a custardy mix of eggs, flour, and sugar...

And add a crumb topping...
It's delicious, and I see that Jody has just posted a recipe for it here.
Have a happy weekend!