Atia of the Julii, inspired crochet dress.

This week......

And last it seems all of last week, I have been mostly making this dress.
 Inspired by the tv series Rome (a must see for the over 18)


It is all fantasy, not real and no history used to create this little
number it's straight out of the Tv Box set.

It's been a while (making dresses) I had been busy with my canvas, but I feel pretty strong about this dress. 
Enjoying getting lost in my stitches, my approach to making seems to have taken even more of a Laberyinth turn.

Up and down, side to side.  The stitches go where the mood takes me.

It all started with the chain crochet cords hanging above.
Then I picked up the chains and knitted a panel.
Then using the shower puff fabric crocheted the under skirt, well the edges of the shower puff together.
Mixed yarns, tape , cotton, acrylic, charity and even a little silk! Juxtapose
For this sleeve I used the milk silk that I had in my stash.  In the photo above Im attaching the sleeve and creating the begining of the neck line.
Attaching shower puff with the tape yarn (silky blue)
Creating the second sleeve using shower puff and a glitter yarn the silver that you can just about see.  I used to mosaic effect as I thought it looked pretty Roman;-)
Attaching the second sleeve, it still not finished, above you can see a huge gap below the sleeve.   But it's the basic skeltion that I needed to create the top of the dress. 
Two wiki below, one about the serise and second the person who played the character.(the one that I was inspired mostly by).  I use inspired loosy as she really was a gutter snipe
(but she played a great character totally hate-able)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atia_of_the_Julii
Inspiration.
Cleopatra inspired neck line, also the naked delicate fabrics that where
used for many of her outfits in the show. 

Teamed with the almost Eastern feel of the outfits created for the Julii family
Appologies for the photos looking slightly drunk, the manniquin is broken and basically swings from side to side.  Making my creating on the manniquin pretty difficult.

  My spelling is awful, i'm not only having issues with my manniquin, but also spell check will not work.  Forgivness required;-(