weekend eating & a facelift

Over the weekend I tried a couple recipes from the Saveur magazine 'Cream Tea' article. The scone recipe is delicious, one of which I had with tea this morning along with a modified version of clotted cream and some blackberry jam. I am sure I have added a couple pounds in the last three days!
Below is my attempt at the Victoria sponge cake. Not quite as pretty as the Saveur cake, but really delicious...

Deb and Kim asked about the cook book stand...I found it at the flea market last Memorial Day and after a trip to my husbands workshop, it is now being put to good use. I think it was probably an old music stand...
Since February is such a looooong month around here, it's the perfect time for a project. We've been wanting to give the kitchen a facelift, so this weekend we got started. Hopefully after some paint, 'new' countertops (using salvaged flooring), and a farmhouse sink, it will have a new, brighter look. And the goal is to do this all as frugally as possible!

This is one of the 'before' pictures, with one of the cabinet doors already removed ...

More pictures as we make some progress...