close to my heart...

It was almost eight years ago that my daughter decided she wanted to learn at home. Homeschooling was something to which I had given much thought, since even before she started kindergarten; I had read lots of books and knew a couple families who had done it...but I never had the courage to take the leap. After all, she had done very well at the elementary school and had made some wonderful friendships...I wasn't totally sure that taking her away from all that was for the best ~ I mean, could I really teach her all she would need to know? ~could I really teach physics, chemistry, composition, geometry, etc. at a high school level? ~would she ever get into college? Since she was eager, I knew it was worth a try; and, I was not fond of the thought of sending her to the high school for 7th grade.
I spent many sleepless nights in those early days agonizing over the decision. So, you can imagine how happy I was for her last night at her college graduation, where she received her degree with highest honors and, possessing the highest grade point average, was chosen to give the Student Address.
It turns out I needn't have worried all those nights--she really taught herself...all I had to do was provide the means and a little bit of nagging.