where did the week go??


Spring is just arrived, and already time is moving along much too fast. It is Friday, and I have to stop and think, 'where did the week go ~ what have I been doing?'...

~ Sunday was Maple Syrup weekend around here, and we did need more syrup, so we headed out to a neighboring county and visited a couple different farms that make their own. How could I have forgotten my camera!! Sadly I have no pictures of: the buckets hanging from the big sugar maple trees, the wooden outbuilding full of so much steam we could hardly see when we first stepped inside, the large stainless steel vat of bubbling sap ~ heated by a wood fire underneath, the large kettle on the old stove - for the final boiling down, the farmhouse sunporch where the delicious syrup was displayed in jugs to purchase. On our way between the buildings, the chickens were wandering, pecking at the ground, and the cows and draft horse were resting peacefully in the paddock.

~ I finished knitting on my summer sweater. Now it is just waiting to be sewn together - this is the scariest part for me, for as well as it may have knitted up, you just don't know how it will all come together - will it fit, will it look o.k.? ...I hope!

~ The new chicks are ordered from Murray McMurray - Buff Rocks, Partridge Rocks, Araucanas, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and some Jumbo Cornish X Rocks. They won't be arriving til mid-May, since I placed my order much later than usual.

~ I found this new book at the library. A whole new (simple) way of making bread - very similar to the no-knead Dutch oven bread. This dough, however, is made up and can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, during which time you can break off 1-lb hunks, let it rise, and bake a loaf when needed...very convenient!
~ A Scandinavian blind (from Katrin Cargill's book, Simple Soft Furnishings) finally sewn up. I bought the fabrics last year, and it's taken me this long to get to it. Hoping to hang it this weekend.
~ Some finished totes and a shop update. And my package mailed off to Melinda for the down-to-earth shopping tote swap!
Wishing you a happy weekend!