~planting time~


Summer is here and my computer/posting/commenting time has dwindled to almost nothing. We have been having beautiful weather, and after our too long winters we try to take advantage of each day, often not coming inside til dusk, and even then I like to sit on the porch glider til the mosquitos force me inside.

Memorial Day weekend is the big planting weekend around here. We planted our vegetable garden with peas, beans, radishes, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, pumpkins and gourds...

...with some sunflowers along the back. Not much to see yet, but some recent rain should get it all off to a good start... Some of the strawberries are beginning to turn red. This spring, in front of the raised strawberry bed, I planted a new patch. I found the idea in Mary Jane's Ideabook~Cookbook~Lifebook. I laid out black landscaping fabric and covered it with straw...twice actually since a strong wind blew the first batch away...then I cut little X's in the fabric and planted 'volunteers' that were growing outside of the raised bed. So far they are doing great, and if it works it will save me hours of weeding! In the very front are some sunflowers that came up from last year's seed and I transplanted...
The rose bushes in front of the hens' yard are in bloom and the smell is heavenly...
Hope you're having a great June so far!