some thrifty thinking

Thrift seems to be foremost on my mind lately...so here are some ways I've been trying to save:

My dad, knowing I'll try to refurbish most anything, brought me two of these Pier One director chairs that someone was throwing away. The canvas was terribly faded & worn, but the wooden frames were good...

I gave them a few coats of spray paint (bought on sale with a rebate) and sewed some new seats & backs with leftover denim & canvas I had on hand. I know...the seats look 'a bit' saggy (I used the old ones as a pattern) and some alterations are needed, but we now have two 'new' chairs for the deck.

I finished #2 summer top (Simplicity 3835) with some clearance rack fabric. I used the sleeves from the dress version. (Here I'm holding the little one for whom I made the dress and booties...)

The strawberries in our garden are winding down, so yesterday I made some strawberry jam. I recycled some Bonne Maman jars even though the canning books didn't recommend it, and the jam sealed up just fine...

And even mealtimes have been more thrifty with ingredients from the garden...Monday night we had a garden salad with leftover (free) venison steak and I made some zucchini muffins. Last night we had this beans and rice dish which was really good and some homemade bread ... thrift is good!!

Hope you are having a great week!