thrifty treasures

July already! It's been mostly sunny and not too hot--usually comfortable temps in the 70's. We have had quite a few passing showers over the days, but it isn't long before the sun pops out and we have blue skies.
Sunday was a perfect day to take a drive to one of my favorite flea markets. We also stopped in a beautiful little town to visit a couple antique shops and enjoyed the best-ever chocolate milkshakes.
It was a wonderful day, and I was quite happy to return home with some thrifty treasures...
...a cotton string bag,



...a great little picnic basket. I am already trying to plan a special outing just to use it...a bike ride along the canal towpath or maybe a trip to the lighthouse on the lake??

...4 doilies {some on sale for $1, no less} and some beautiful old lace.


...a table runner and a couple embroidered towels--love that one with the basket!!


...a metal garden table, just what we needed for our deck,


...and my most favorite find of all--this amazing vintage basket, the color of which immediately caught my eye. It's owner had originally purchased it in the Hudson Valley for {to me} a large sum of money--my heart sunk, knowing it would probably be too expensive. I asked her price anyway, hating to let it go--when she said $5, well, it was one of those happy flea market moments!
At almost a foot deep and as much across, it is perfect for my new crochet project which I can't wait to show you soon!