busy in the garden {and some crafting}

This was yesterday morning's view from the back porch--an absolutely glorious summer day.
Our strawberry season is drawing to a close, with just a handful picked yesterday. I was not able to freeze any or make jam--a couple late frosts in May really hurt the plants and they did not produce the many quarts of berries I had last year.

In the vegetable garden we're picking swiss chard, lettuce, zucchini, green beans, broccoli, and cucumbers.
This year I planted some fingerling potatoes for the first time and can't wait to see how they do...

Earlier in the week I harvested 6 large heads of broccoli and froze much of it...


I also made some chocolate zucchini muffins and a chocolate sheet cake--oh so good!
Despite all the gardening busyness, I try my best to squeeze in time for my favorite new project, a vintage vertical stripe crocheted blanket...

...sometimes a row crocheted with my morning tea, and usually always a couple rows done right before bed. Perfect for using up leftover yarn...

My color pattern is completely random and each row is eagerly finished so the next color can be carefully chosen. I love seeing how all the color combinations unfold...

The goal is to have it finished before winter--wish me luck!