your questions

First off, thank you everyone for your comments on my last post. The thought of all your prayers being offered up for my dad is heartwarming, and they are so appreciated.

I am way behind on answering questions, so I thought I would try to catch up on that... Recently, Kim asked how I learned to make slipcovers and what sort of fabrics to use.

The chair above, I slipcovered in very inexpensive cotton duck; and for the chair below I made a slipcover out of white denim found on sale years ago for a couple dollars a yard...

My couch is an old mohair sofa which my mom found and passed on to me. It is sturdy as a rock, and I love it; it is also slipcovered in a patterned denim. These have all been washed many times, and the denim and duckcloth wash and wear great!

Most of our furniture is secondhand, so reupholstering or slipcovers are usually a necessity. I love being able to wash slipcovers, so I determined that I would learn to make them myself. This is the book that I found to be most helpful to me...

Simple Upholstery & Slipcovers by Carol Parks ~ {check your library or there's a link on my right sidebar}.

I also saw a three-part post on slipcovers over at Sew Mama Sew recently, which would be very helpful. I have never used a paper pattern as shown in the tutorial, but you might find that useful. Some people make a muslin pattern up first; I usually just wing it with my slipcover fabric, and thankfully that has worked for me.

I hope this helps, Kim!

Deb